Running Machines Hot 'Silence Isn't Golden'

Metal detectors have developed at rather a fast rate over the past 8 years or so, we now have units with an array of setting and filters, for me the more filters you use on a machine the more it effects the overall performance. In my eyes, More Filters = Less Depth I want to be trying to run my machines as open as possible, the first step to achieving this is by keeping the discrimination as low as I can get away with, I believe true all metal machines are the ones that exhibit the best overall performance. 

Going back to the last blog I wrote about understanding the language of your machine, if you put the time in and learn the audio of partially discriminated out targets this will enable you to run your machine as hot as possible. I use the term "HOT" because I see this word referenced a lot online, one video that confused me was about the Equinox 800, this specific individual says he runs the threshold level at 1 because he wants his machine to run "HOT". Firstly the threshold on the 800 isn't true, it's simply a reference and I find it to be utterly pointless, secondly, having it set at 1 makes absolutely no difference to the machine whatsoever and it certainly isn't running anything "HOT". Somewhere down the line the function of the threshold has been confused.


Where Am I Going With This?

Since the introducing of the current range of mainstream machines on the market the idea of running a machine "hot" has been slightly warped and misunderstood. It appears to me the consensus is, if a machine is making noises when it's being swung then it's looked upon as "unstable". We've been conditioned into thinking that a super silent machine is running at its most effective, I don't think this is the case. Now let us remember, I'm not talking about EMI interference, that's clearly negative audio that effects detectors in a really bad way. What I'm talking about is noises from the ground, when I swing my machines I want the ground to come to life and light up.

What Do I Mean By Come To Life?

Simply put, I want to hear the blips, beeps and scratches whilst I swing, this way I know that my detector is alive and sensitive to the ground beneath my feet. So how do we run our machines hot, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible on my Equinox 800, I'm sorry but simply upping the sensitivity doesn't cut it for me. Also, due to the increments the discrimination increases in, it's really hard to find a number that puts it just on the edge, still allowing it to remain as open as possible. On the "edge" is a perfect term for what I'm trying to explain here, so how do I set my machines up?. Obviously I ground balance as tight into the ground as possible, there might be occasions that I run the ground balance slightly positive or negative, this depends on ground conditions. Second to that, depending on the machine, I'll run my sensitivity just on the edge of unstable, doing this should allow me to hear the potential deeper targets. Finally I'll have my threshold at a "just" audible level so it's teetering on the edge of a constant hum. This, combined with the sensitivity setting should allow me to be able to hear the subtle rises indicating a potential deep target.

So to conclude, we have to get rid of the idea that a lively machine is an unstable one, remember, the more silencers and filters you put on your detector to quieten down the more it's going to effect its ability to perform. I understand that people don't want to be bothered by false signals and noise that could potentially interfere with hearing targets but.... going back to my last blog about learning your detectors language. If you understand what your machine is telling you then you'll be able to decode the good signals from the false ones without a problem.

Comments

Popular Posts