Air Tests Are Pointless

When I got my Equinox 800 I fell into the trap of air testing coins and then assuming that the machine could detect these depths in the ground. The long and short of it is, the depths displayed in air tests weren't achievable on targets in the ground. Do Air Tests Show The Potential Of What's Achievable In Regards To Depth? no I don't believe they do, my 15' inch Coiltek coil air tested a cartwheel penny at nearly 2 feet. If you think that it could be detected in the ground at 2 feet then you're dreaming. I believe a lot of modern machines have their gain and sensitivity pumped up for one reason, this is for air tests. The manufactures know that these tests impress people, but as we know, too much gain and sensitivity can work against you. 

There are so many factors that come into play when detecting a target in the ground, there are no factors that come into play in the air. Last time I looked, no one has been hunting in the air. Minelab came out with a buzz line "In The Ground Is Where Detecting Really Counts", if that's the case why do all their machines detect deeper in the air than in the ground. I think "In Their Bank Account Is Where It Counts" is a more realistic phrase. If, in fact, it's in the ground where it counts, how come any kind of mineralisation kills both the depth and performance by a considerable level. In the scheme of things none of this really matters but when you have a company making bogus claims to sell their machines then it all counts for something. Do I Think That You Can Learn A lot About The Potential Performance Of Your Machine Through Air Testing? No I believe you learn nothing, if anything it can misrepresent what it's capable of in regards to both depth and performance.

I've had quite a few funny conversations in regards to Nexus and air testing, people have contacted me saying the Deus 2 etc etc can detect a coin deeper in air than the MP V2 and V3. Let's look at this in a bit more detail, setting your recovery speed to the lowest setting to try and prove how deep a detector goes is laughable at the best of times because there are very few occasions when having the setting that low actually improves performance. If you think setting the recovery on your Equinox to 0 is going to "open your land back up" you're seriously deluded. How do I know This? because I tried it, on my land having it at zero made it unusable. Do I believe the Deus 2, Manticore and Legend air test better than Nexus, yes I believe they do but remember "In The Ground Is Where It Counts" and Nexus detects deeper in the ground than in air. This is a statement that rubs people up the wrong way because people just don't believe that it's possible, and they still don't believe it even if it's been demonstrated a number of times. 

Now I don't need to prove anything to anyone but, once again, if people are going to get nasty about things then you have a right to reply. Digital machines detect in air deeper than they do in the ground, Nexus detects deeper in the ground than in air ...... that's it, there's really nothing more to say. Can I Explain Why This Is? no I can't and I don't need to, Have I Asked Nexus To Explain This? no I haven't because I'd rather be swinging my machines than talking bullshit about them. However, I do believe there's people out there that will try to use their physics degree to debunk it, some of the most small minded people I've ever met claim to be physicists and scientists. To be honest I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a spoon than get into a discussion where one side of the debate will be so desperate to prove their supreme intelligence. 

Below Is Yet Another Video Demonstrating That Nexus Detects Deeper In The Ground Than In Air.

Comments

  1. Andrew Paul Marussich27 October 2023 at 18:21

    Great subject for those who possess common sense. Unfortunately, it’s not so common. I agree there is a plethora of self proclaimed experts in the world of Metal Detecting and naming the best machines. Air tests mean nothing, they provide “potential“ VDI ID numbers, air test on top of the ground provide “potential”performance but not absolute. I definitely do not judge depth using air tests with any Metal Detectors I currently own. I have to admit when I was newer to the hobby I fell into that trap, and quickly became aware that it doesn’t mean shit. I have to go by my own experience and real video evidence like I see with Georgie and Nexus, digging Roman coins at extreme depths, the video you provided below, and there are also others out there. I have watched the videos you have made sometimes 20+ minutes to try to judge the performance of the Nexus in the real world, I watch you pull nonferrous items at great depths which is impressive. Therefore, I will give the V3 a go, and am excited to try it in very challenging conditions.

    Thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts