What The Threshold Isn't

The threshold isn't a continuous tone that nulls out when you apparently swing over a nonferrous target, and the threshold isn't a reference tone either. Despite what the companies call it, the definition of what they are now calling a threshold is complete bollocks. The main disappointment when I got my Equinox 800 was the Threshold, it was utterly pointless, I'm sure there's people out there that will claim they utilised it to dig a dime at 16' inches, that may be so. But let's remember that we're living in a world where people call pin-pointer depth "super deep", after using Nexus it became obvious pretty quick that pin-pointer depth was 'standard'.

For Me True Threshold Is Constant Motion

I'll explain something that I put into practice, because the new definition of the threshold is now a continuous tone that nulls on non-ferrous targets. I'd hunt with it up quite loud and dig if I got a very weak signal and it nulled at the same time or if it nulled without an actual signal response. In practice this sounds like an awesome way to dig those "really deep" targets, unfortunately, in practice it was a useless approach. Why Was This? because, firstly the Equinox 800 isn't a deep machine and secondly it's ability to discriminate at depth is close to useless. Because of this I was basically digging ferrous junk and iron, this might be a good approach for relic hunters but for me it was a pointless exercise. 

How Do I Perceive A True Threshold?

Let me try to explain this correctly and I will use the threshold on my Nexus machines as my example because it's a real "true" threshold tone. For me the threshold is a continuous resonance that hums in the background, depending on ground conditions and coil size I have it set to audible or "just" audible. The threshold provides the machine with the ability to register super deep targets, remember I'm using Nexus as my example here, Nexus are super deep machines. BUT... if you have a true threshold on any other analog machine and you have it humming at a comfortable level, it's going to help to get the maximum depth out of the specific unit you're swinging. Suppressing the threshold suppresses depth, and an audible threshold extends the machines ability to register deep targets. 

A true threshold doesn't "NULL", it lifts, or as you hear me say in all my Nexus videos, it phases in and latches on to the targets. The Nexus threshold is a panoramic resonance rather than a single, one dimensional tone, you're listening for a deviation in the resonance. It adds an extra layer to the whole audible experience when you're out hunting and it enables you to connect with the ground you're on in more of a sensory way. You just don't get the same feedback with a digital reference threshold, it's the complete opposite of what it is suppose to be. Can Technology Moving Forward Reinvent The Concept Of The Threshold? no it can't, a true threshold will always be a resonance or a tone that you have just audible or "audible" that will lift to register a target. 

Comments

  1. Never looked at it like that, minelab always claimed with their explorer range that a rising tone would occur on a deep target, but usually just nulled. Gaz.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts