Why Am I Doing This?

Nowadays we're living in a world full of exclamation marks what I mean by this is, due to YouTube everything that gets uploaded isn't a moment in time experienced by no one other than yourself. Before social media and the internet when we wanted to share an experience we'd recall it, usually between family and friends. Tales were told at the pub or over lunch and dinner, over time your memory might forget the finer details and then the experience ferments deep within the brain, usually to be forgotten or slowly evolving into what we call "nostalgia". Nowadays if you upload content to YouTube or similar sites then it's a memory that can be relived again and again, not only by you but also complete strangers, and depending on how many people watch what you do, it's then a mechanism for opinions. 

What Do I Mean By This?

Simple, once people have watched enough of what you're creating they can then make their own mind up about who they think you are, if you're good at what you do, if you're a chancer, a sell out or a relatable and honest person. Some people like to project a certain image over social media that has no resemblance to their personality whatsoever. I believe the internet is actually breeding generations of imposters, fakes, narcissists, fame seeking twats and self-styled experts all with short attention spans. I'd like to state that I'm none of the above, if I was a sell-out fake I'd probably of had a more successful music career but I have to much self respect to not be true to myself. 

So Why Am I Doing This?

I got my first detector when I was 10 years old and it's obvious by now that I love my metal detecting and I love my writing, to be honest, the whole video thing came as an after thought. I'm not massively into the whole internet scene, it can distract you from the real world outside your window way too much. So let's get honest here, my wife got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer not to long ago and to say my world fell apart would be a complete and utter understatement. Life's hard enough after having the cataclysmic mental breakdown that I had over 13 years ago now, I live my life within a haze of pharmaceutical drugs, they make you feel like complete and utter shit, if I didn't have any inner strength I wouldn't even bother getting out of bed. Add to the described situation that my dad died only a short while ago to, it's a fucking miracle that I'm even functioning at all. 

My wife, my dog Eric and my work keeps me getting up each day and the release from all of this is being able to metal detect. Because I don't use mainstream machines I thought that people might be interested to see that you don't need the new tech, latest and greatest to get out and find stuff, that's when the idea of making videos came to my mind. I'm not an expert at metal detecting, I'm not a self styled fucking guru or fame seeking whore that would sell his soul for a free XP Deus 2. I'm simply using the machines that I love, doing what I love and writing about what I love, nothing more and nothing less. 

Like I've mentioned before, it's your choice if you want to read what I write and watch what I film, it makes no real difference to me. But when you take into account what I've now explained, it shouldn't come as any surprise that I really couldn't care less what machine can see a coin under an iron nail, and getting into arguments with hick-town rednecks that have their penises so far up XP detectors arse, isn't really high on my priority list. 

Comments

  1. It's so refreshing to not have the ubiquitous "and if you'd like to buy me a coffee.." at the end of your vids, just honesty and passion. No grift

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all your posts and I like them very much. I am also a person who likes analog metal detectors. I hope someone reads your articles and realizes new things they didn't know before. The simple truth that what you see is not everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love watching your detecting vids and your writing even more. Oh, let’s not forget about Eric :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts