Why I Dig Everything

Nowadays everything's about shortcuts, many want to know how they can get instant results with minimal effort. How should I set my machine up? he's an idea why don't you go work that out yourself, that way you'll actually have some kind of understanding of what you're doing. Surely if you want to metal detect it actually makes sense to learn how to "Metal Detect"  .. BUT ... alas ... they want the hammys and the Roman fibs without any sort of learning and understanding.....just wait for the machine to beep baby. 

I hate to break it to you but there are no shortcuts in this life and depending how serious you are about finding treasure, there's certainly no shortcuts in metal detecting. I understand that metal detecting companies like to convey that everything you dig is gold, silver and bronze but it isn't and anyone out there putting content out projecting this is full of shit - I can't stand people that are full of shit.

The fact is if you're going to metal detect then you're going to be digging trash, not a little bit, I'm talking mountains of it. Some really historic terrain can have a higher treasure to trash ratio, I've had a few fields like that through the years but most of my land is trash with occasional treasure mixed together. This personally doesn't bother me, I've explained in the past that I learnt how to master all my Nexus detectors digging loads of trash. Thanks to the trash I've learnt to understand what deep signals sound like, when I say deep I'm not talking about 10' inches, I'm talking "Nexus Deep". The video below will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.


The more trash I've dug the more I've learnt about Nexus and the more trash I dig the luckier I get, if you want quick and easy rewards go on a seeded hunt where you can dig a planted gold coin and win a free Nokta Cap and badge. I've explained about my longterm approach to pasture in this blog Longterm Pasture Approach. It all stems from the thought process of clearing the ground out as much as possible, this can mean digging the iron depending on the site that I'm on. Opening up the ground allows me to bring in my large dual coils that have been specifically designed to punch deep. From my point of view, why spend so much money on large dual coils if they're not going to be used correctly. 

Get Them Out The Ground

Hunting a section of land is a process, using any kind of notch or bottle cap rejection setting might provide you with a shortcut to digging a few more coins quicker. But for me, leaving bottle caps and ring pulls in the ground won't allow my larger coils to detect the potential deep targets. Bottle caps and ring pulls mask targets and the best place for them is out the ground and in the bin. I find a lot of the modern machines today provide you with the ability to take shortcuts, digging certain numbers and leaving others. You will be leaving good targets in the ground doing this. I've said it before many times, for me personally if it's nonferrous I'm digging it and depending on the site I'm on, if it's iron I'm also digging it. 

Embrace the trash people, it's hiding the treasure!!

Comments

  1. This makes so much sense, I adopted this on my permission, landowners came out with me and watched with bemusement as I pulled out foil and few caps, I explained now this bit of ground can now searched afresh. After all It's a metal detector not a magic wand, and the detectorist shouldn't really divest all responsibility of target selection to the machine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts