DEBUNKED 'oh no I've been exposed'

"I find all this drama funny ... hey it makes the hobby entertaining .... right?"

I recently uploaded a video to YouTube demonstrating both the Equinox 800 and the Legend not being able to discriminate out a large nail with a flat head on it and still pick up a small silver coin underneath. It was an 'above ground' 3D air test but it was performed on the dirt. It wasn't performed indoors on a laundry basket, on a card box, a bed or styrofoam.

On both machines I reduced all the main filters as low as possible and this made no difference to either of the detectors ability to see the coin. A response was subsequently uploaded 'debunking' my video and basically suggesting that I don't know what I'm talking about and I clearly don't understand how the discrimination works on digital machines. Let me highlight a really important point here that was clearly missed by the people discrediting the video.

I CHANGED BOTH MACHINES TO THE SETTINGS THAT ALL THE EXPERTS TOLD ME TO USE TO UNLEASH THE TRUE UNMASKING ABILITY OF BOTH DETECTORS

It wasn't me being utterly clueless in either of the machines operation, I was simply following the instructions that I was ordered to follow. Before I continue, let us remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, that's all cool with me, it's what makes life interesting, discussion is good and I couldn't care less if people want to pick apart what I post. This is all part of sharing your views and opinions in the public domain. 

Below Is The Incriminating Video

The 'debunking video' states, I'm discriminating out the nail before hand to the exact point where the iron is cancelled out thus making it possible to pick up the coin. Yes that is true, which is the whole point of the exercise, people that have read my blogs and watched my videos know that I don't set my machines up to pass tests. I use the same settings in these tests as I do when I'm detecting, there might be a very slight modification depending on the conditions. When I'm hunting in iron I will take a selection of iron nails and pegs out with me, from past experience on my longterm fields, over time your start to get an understanding of the type of iron that you're dealing with. The iron I carry with me has been dug out the fields I hunt. 

What Do I mean By This?

1. Is It An Abundance Of Small Nails?

2. Is It A Mix Of Small & Large Nails?

3. Is There A lot Of Large Flat Iron?

4. Is It A Mix Of All The Above?

Depending on what category my land falls under with the above examples, it then dictates what size & type of nail, peg etc that I will be discriminating out. Let us remember that this is when I'm using my Nexus machines because they're the ones I use inland and the above process is what I go through when I'm using one of my high frequency coils. But I use all my other analog machines on the river and I basically use the same approach with each of them. On the MP V2, Credo DDM and Coronado I have iron reject modes, this form of operation phases out all types of iron literally with a simple flick of a switch. If iron does break through it's pretty bloody obvious. These machines also have an all metal mode where you choose the level of discrimination you require. 

On my V3 it doesn't have an iron reject mode, just like the machines described above, I have to set the level of discrimination, low frequency coils have the disc level set to zero, this kicks out practically all iron. Once again, really large flat iron can break through, on the V3, using the high frequency silver scout coils, you simply find the sweet spot on the disc that allows the machine to unmask the best it can upon the terrain you're hunting - this sweet spot changes depending on the size of the iron.

I've pointed out that there's a limit to the size of the iron that you can disc out for good unmasking to be achievable, but, again, this is something that I've stated many many times. However you've got to go a pretty long way to find an iron infested terrain that the silver scout coils and the MP detectors can't deal with. What About Large Flat Iron? when using the high frequency coils, it's very obvious when you have large flat iron under the coil because the machines scream and the RGB meter lights up like a firework. When you're using the low frequency coils it takes a lot to trick the machine into I.D ing it as non-ferrous. 

The thing to understand here is, with my analog machines I don't have to change where the discrimination dial is very often and I don't set a machine up to pass a test. The settings I show in my videos are exactly what I use to hunt with. When you have the disc set correctly it practically phases out most ferrous material 'other than real large iron and flat iron'. YES ... you might get a few false high tones off certain pieces of ferrous junk, but the audio and language of the machine clearly lets you know it's iron.

The debunking video shows the Equinox 800 seeing a large silver quarter under an iron nail and the test is elevated in the air, rendering it a pointless exercise. The machine has been set up using the tone break to pass the test. You can't use these settings out in the fields, especially on iron contaminated ground. I've stated it time and time again, there's no point in setting a machine up to pass a test if you can't use those specific settings out in the field. For this tone break adjustment to work the field your hunting has to have thousands of exactly the same nail that you've set the machine up to 'ignore'. Add a different piece of ferrous material into the equation and the Equinox will I.D it with a non-ferrous tone or false badly. I will be making a video in due course demonstrating the problems with this approach. 

I could write a load more on this subject but I think I've covered what I wanted to say, the video below and the message at the beginning makes it pretty clear what my intent was when making the video that was "debunked".

Comments

  1. Love it....dont stop what your doing, as you say a test (on wooden decking in some videos) with targets elevated aint real life. Gaz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul!!! Keep doing your thing, we all appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bang on the money. Good to know your touching a few nerves. Keep it up mate.
    Sean emmett.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watched your video straight forward and honest, people just don't want to believe in the unmasking of old school analog detectors!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts