Discriminating Out Iron On Analog Detectors 'micro blog'

I want to briefly cover discriminating out iron, there's a common theme in this regard that connects all of my analog metal detectors together, it's something I call "clipping". I stand by my claim that good analog machines have far superior discrimination to any of the digital detectors on the market. This is due to the tiny increments that detectors with dials can be adjusted, for unmasking to be successful you have to get the disc setting correct. People ask me where it needs to be set, this varies depending on the size of the iron you're wanting to disc out. The location you're hunting will dictate this, for instance, down on the river there's areas that require a slightly higher disc setting because a vast majority of iron is large.

On the flip side there's other areas where you can get away with running it lower because both the size and overall iron content isn't that bad. Out on my longterm permissions I always dig a certain amount of iron so I can start to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I then keep the iron I dig up and use it to set the disc correctly on whatever machine I'm using when I'm on that specific site. Obviously there's a limit to the size of the iron you can disc out before unmasking doesn't work so well. So Where Do I set My Discrimination?

There's one rule of thumb that I always stick to on all my machines and it's what I call "clipping", when you're discriminating out your chosen size/shaped iron you don't want silence, you want it to clip. Having the disc level set up like this still gives the machine the best chance at seeing non-ferrous targets in close proximity to iron. You want to rotate on your chosen piece of iron to make sure you're not getting any strong falsing from it. All my analog detectors work on this principle, raise the disc until you get the clipping of the audio and adjust it in tiny increments until it's perfect.

The video below demonstrates the point I'm trying to make.

Comments

  1. briansparks06@gmail.com .com27 January 2024 at 14:51

    Another informative blog thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts