Multiple Tones In A Single Tone Machine

The title of this blog clearly makes no sense whatsoever when you read it from a literal point of view, how can you have multiple tones on a detector that only has one actual tonal option? The answer to this question is complicated, if you swing machines with the viewpoint that the detectors sole purpose is to "serve you" then you'll never going to understand what I'm trying to explain. Secondly, if you're obsessed with VDI then it's best you move along, I've explained my thoughts on this many times, VDI is the biggest 'red-herring' to of ever happened to metal detecting, that and the whole multi-frequency bullshit. 

Let's take a minor detour before coming back around to the main points I want to make with this blog, as technology advances the natural connections the majority of us make with the world around us start to erode and disconnect. Vast amounts of the human race only really connect on a baseline level with most things in their environment. Some of us are more sensitive than others, sensitive souls in a society full of shite and discourse can find life hard because they get easily effected by the change in both frequency and emotion around them, this can lead to dis-ease. 

Multiple layers to one sound

I believe many of the 'true artists' in human history clearly connected with their world in a unique way, this is obvious when looking at the art they produced. Being this sensitive has it's problems but it also has it's benefits, for me life is a 'sense' that I live in accordance with how I feel the world around me. When I was playing drums I communicated my interpretation of how I felt the world around me with sound and aggression, since I stopped drumming I don't have this outlet but I still connect to things in the same way. This is where analog metal detectors come into play, analog is organic, it's undisturbed, it hasn't be hijacked and polluted by technology. "Organic" materials and ideas will always have a 'clarity-connection' within them that the 'human frequency' can mesh into. You start to metal detect from your senses rather than your screen and all the bullshit gimmicks that it displays. 


I connect to all my metal detectors in the same way, I don't expect them to serve me, we serve each other, if I have the instinct to understand their language then I know I will achieve the desired result. If I apply zero thought and intuition when they're in my hands then I will be left disappointed. An analog metal detector approached with an analog frame of mind creates a union where all cylinders are firing. You know when you're swinging over iron trash and you know when you've got potential treasure. You understand when you have a masked target, you sense both the size and the depth as well. When all these mentioned points are being achieved on a regular basis then the connection between man and machine has been solidified. 


So lets go back to the title of this blog "Multiple Tones In A Single Frequency Machine" all of my detectors have this feature, it's a feature of the mind if you're really willing to listen for it and make the connection. Let me use my Tesoro metal detectors as the example, most notably "The Outlaw" because I've been using that a lot recently on my river hunts. If you have a lack of connection you'll be fooled into thinking that this machine has one tone, on a baseline level I guess you can say that it has. However, when intuition kicks in there are many "tells" within the voice of this machine that lets you know exactly what's going on under the coil.

Firstly, round targets actually sound round, how can this be? the audio has a very clear indentation within the centre of the overall tone, the outside edges of the target have a smooth 'linear' feel to them. Aluminium sounds bright and displays a 'jagged' fuzz on the outer edge, iron either overloads the signal or spits and fizzes. Masked targets project a clarity with a minor distortion, tiny targets have a small indentation with a tiny clip as you pinpoint them. Misshaped targets literally give a misplaced sounding response, all of these points I've made are hard to imagine but if you're connected with the machine they actually become really obvious. 

BUT ! it takes time to master, spending your time out with your machines and really applying both your mind and your instincts will enable you to truly understand the multiple tones in a single tone machine. For me personally I just couldn't connect to my Equinox 800 and Nokta Legend in this way, they felt synthetic and unnatural and they pretty much represented everything about the modern technological world that's slowly strangling both our intuition and senses. These detectors are automated nonthinking devices that take every ounce of 'art' away from the "ART" that is metal detecting. 


Many out there look upon technology as the new god, of course it has advanced the human race in incredible ways but it isn't the answer to everything. Let us remember, just because something is marketed as "New Tech" it doesn't make it superior, and I still stand by the point that I've made many times in the past, the more technology progresses and infiltrates our lives, the more fucking stupid 'some' of the human race become. For me this point is being displayed on a day to day basis, the minute you personally substitute technology for thinking, you're as good as dead.

Comments

  1. Good post! One typo at the end - "the minute you personally subtract technology for thinking, you're as good as dead", should have substitute instead of subtract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's what it was suppose to be

      Delete
  2. Stanley Palmer13 June 2024 at 16:10

    Greetings from the US. I am new to the hobby with 55 hours with a beginner-level detector that I enjoy in parks and relic-hunting. If my passion lasts a year or so I am confident that I will choose an analog detector and several coil sizes. I thinking of these: Golden Mask 7, Nexus Standard V3, or Deeptech Vista X.
    What is your opinion?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts