Garrett Vortex - It appears we have psychics among us

Most people in the metal detecting community are now well aware of Garretts new offering, the Vortex, I've made my feelings clear about the tech machines and most will know that I think multifrequency is a load of garbage. It's just a fantastic term to use to market machines that display average performance at best, I know many disagree with my opinion on this and that's cool, remember we're all allowed to have our own opinions in this world - many seem to struggle with this though. 

We're living in a climate where the people that don't agree with the mainstream get shouted down by an ocean of voices that have succumbed to mass hypnosis 'Group-Think' without even realising it. I've always been a square shaped object trying to push through a circular hole, it became very apparent to me at a very young age that I'm just not on the same frequency as the worlds population, and I'm totally fine with that, fitting in is overrated. 

Sleek & sharp 

Now the thing that I find quite incredible about the Vortex is it hasn't been released yet and the same old talking heads that dwell on the forums and social media are whipping up a huge 'storm' of negativity about it. Let us remember that the people making the most noise haven't actually used the machine, Does anyone remember a video of a clown slandering Nexus metal detectors without ever using one? If you don't recall this video you can watch it below. This is the prime example of an utter tosser opening his gigantic mouth about something he knows nothing about and in doing so potentially damaging the reputation of a set of machines he just wouldn't have the I.Q to swing.

I'd like to point out that I'm not being a hypocrite here, a few videos ago on my Youtube I uploaded a video titled "You Can Stick Your Multi-Dimensonal, Multi- Frequency Detectors Where The Sun Don't Shine". In this video I was simply referencing the "Marketing Lingo" and my main point being, that there's nothing 'new technology' wise either on the market or about to come out, it's all just hype and clever wordplay. 

It's going to be the same tech presented on a screen in a slightly different way and there's nothing wrong with that, I just don't agree with companies trying to make out that they're offering something new because this can mislead people. From what I've seen of the Vortex, it's a sleek looking unit that's easy on the eye and I have no doubt that many people out there are going to have fun using it. Let us remember that this hobby is about fun, this appears to be a concept that has definitely been lost on a lot of the 'naysayers'.

I Test Metal Detectors On A Laundry Basket

Let us also remember that many people in the hobby don't want to be messing about with loads and loads of settings menus and submenus, many like to switch a machine on, start swinging and have a good time. Is it really such a catastrophe if a metal detector doesn't have multiple tone options or a spare coil? Also is it really such a big deal if a machine can't see a coin under a nail in a 3D unmasking test? No .. I don't think it really matters at all, some machines perform better in the ground than above it. I personally think it's starting to get ridiculous in regards to the 'in vogue' testing methods and then bashing a machine if it doesn't perform. Let me point out that "I do these types of tests as well" but I'm simply demonstrating analog performance with the view of changing peoples perceptions about analog being a dated platform.

Also personal attacks towards companies and individuals just because a "yet to be released" machine doesn't "spec up" in comparison to other detectors on the market is also a very low blow. It reminds me of kids in a playground BUT we're dealing with grown adults here and I've never witnessed anything more pathetic than grown men arguing about a bloody metal detector. I'm thinking that most of the people throwing fuel to the fire have no concept of what a real problem is and have mental ages of primary school children. 

It goes without saying that I won't be buying a Vortex and those that read my blogs and watch my videos will know why but that doesn't mean people that do buy it are idiots. People can swing whatever machine they like, as long as they're having fun. Garrett are one of the oldest companies in metal detecting and they've been responsible for millions of people getting into the hobby and finding awesome treasures. It's these points alone as to why they need to be respected in what they choose to release, nowadays most manufactures release machines that are 'undateable'. Most come to market when they haven't been perfected, let us all remember this point when the twats, testers and inbreds get the machine in their hands and start putting out videos preaching on their high horses and dictating their meaningless opinions. 


Comments

  1. Well said Paul, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in times where every other person is dysfunctional. In fact, that is the goal of social media. They are merely a lever for shaping society into a mindless mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We" are dealing with 'The people' in our hobby; pack-mentality masses/mindless low-intellect drones, hooked to their 'silicone obsessions', et al. They are not bona fide "Human Beings", in my opinion. "Human Beings" are polite, respectful, honest, kind, fair-minded.. Just be your own counsel and never respond to people, unless they get right in your face. As I see them, "People" make great infantry squaddies; they are easily conned and easily led. Special Forces men come from loners. Loners are preferred because fundamentally they who do not need 'the group'. They are capable of operating excellently as a single unit: Lone wolves, as opposed to jackals and hyenas. That is my take on "them". I loathe them. I respect and admire Human Beings immensley and have shared many special moments with them. Try to ignore the jackal and the hyena. They follow in the wake of wolves and are annoying only. Take it easy Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get too excited about new metal detectors anymore. My favorite machines are the Tesoro Golden uMax and an old BANDIDO. Being that I am on a fixed income at 67 years old and living with MS. So metal detecting is not as rewarding as it was. I can't afford the new digital stuff and don't want them anyway. Just like Paul said he himself will be old and crotchety someday.But the Vortex is a cool looking machine and that's about it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts