Made To Order Metal Detecting

I've written before about sensationalism projecting an unrealistic example of the hobby, in this day and age social media in all its forms is responsible for this. No One Wants To Watch People Digging Metal Trash ... Right? it's got to be silver and gold or no one really cares. The thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is, metal detectors find metal, that's their purpose, if the metal you find ends up being treasure then that really is just bonus. 

Let Me Just Deliver Your Expectations

Obviously there are elements involved that can up your chances of good finds, the main one being the ground that you're hunting on. Historical land will usually hold historical finds, however, if you do manage to find good land with a rich history there's no guarantee that you're going to get permission to hunt it. Now with the hobby being so popular good land is hard to come by, either farmers are sick of people knocking on their doors asking or the land has been done to death through group digs and rallies. I feel both group digs and rallies have ruined the hobby beyond repair and both just add to the difficulty of securing good land.

What Do I Mean By "Made To Order Metal Detecting"

Because everything is now available at a touch of a button people assume good finds are as well, if they pay their money to a group dig or a rally then they're obviously going to be digging treasure .. right? .. WRONG!  you can only find what's in the ground, if the treasure isn't there to find then it doesn't matter how much money you have paid to 'theoretically' find it. The same can be said for the choice of machine being used, does a more expensive metal detector find treasure that isn't there compared to a cheap one, no it doesn't. This is also a concept that's lost on people, when I swing my Nexus machines people take the piss because they're really expensive machines and most of my finds are trash. Why Is This? because the land that I swing my Nexus on is really really trashy, the rewards are there but you have to dig like crazy.

Land Is Hard To Come By

Below is a photo of some of the Roman coins and hammered silver I've had off my trashy farm, these where found before I started filming and, my god .. did I have to dig like crazy for these coins. But that's what makes that permission interesting, you can be digging trash all day long and then ... BANG!! all of a sudden you dig something as amazing as a Roman coin. It's all to do with the mindset you have when you go out hunting, if you're going to go with the expectation of finding treasure then there's a high chance you're going to leave disappointed. However, if you go with the attitude that you're going to dig lots of metal with a chance of something good coming up then you're going to enjoy the hunt a lot more.

I Dug Like Crazy To Find These Coins

For me personally I can dig trash all day long because I love all my detectors and it helps me to master them, I'm constantly learning and getting better at their operation. The only way you achieve this is by digging targets, it doesn't matter to me what the targets are just as long as I'm digging. The operation of Nexus can be tricky, especially with the larger coils so the more practice I get using them the more efficient I become, the better I get at pin pointing, locating really deep targets and digging tidy plugs. "All Of The Above" meshes itself into what I call the "ART" of metal detecting, to me it is an art, not some mindless pursuit where minimal effort reaps maximum rewards. 

So to sum up, if you want "Made To Order Metal Detecting" I suggest you avoid both my YouTube and my written blogs, I have no interest in sensationalism in any shape or form, I try to display real world metal detecting without all the sponsored, shilling bullshit that plagues 'this once fantastic hobby'. My advice to anyone reading this is, keep your expectations realistic and just enjoy the simple process of swinging a metal detector and finding metal ...... then maybe that next beep could be a find of a lifetime.

Comments

  1. I only watch people who have realistic metal detecting, the first YouTuber I started to watch when I first started was treasure outdoors because I had a simplex plus and he had a lot of videos with that machine, from there I started watching many YouTubers that have similar videos to him, I even started filming my own hunts and uploading them, I only have 100 subs but it's just for fun I guess, between my personality and the amount of trash I dig I feel like my videos suck, but I've had compliments that I dig in the type of public area that they have access to too, and like seeing the realistic finds, for every video i drop where I find something good I have 5 that are just pulltabs and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, I have used many detectors and truthfully I dig everything. I don't trust discriminators. I end up finding a lot of interesting items, It's the chase that keeps me digging.

    John Tomlinson Texas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts