I Don't Trust The Microprocessor

Do I Believe The Speed Of A Microprocessor Will Supersede That Of An Analog Circuit?

No I don't believe it will!

We live in a world of synthetics and imitation, new technologies are designed to mimic the organic, this is happening in everything across the spectrum, it will soon be happening with synthetic humans, especially now with the rise of artificial intelligence. Being a drummer I'd like to use electronic drums as my example, Roland V- drums have been at the forefront of digital drum technology for decades, I've never really been a fan of them. For me, drums are about instinct, dynamics, emotion, connection and intuition, all these elements can only be expressed and felt by playing on an acoustic kit. 

When you hit acoustic drums you get instant feedback, you feel it, a communication between the strike of your stick on the batter head triggers the resonant head which in turn produces the tone of the drum, you can manipulate the tone depending on how you tune the skins. In essence what you're feeling and hearing as you play is a projection of your thoughts and emotions.

It's this inner sense that can never be replicated when playing on an electronic drum kit, the feedback isn't instant and it certainly isn't natural, it lacks dynamics and nuance. I can feel the lag, this is something I'm very sensitive to because my whole job is to lock into a click track each time I go into the studio to record. The velocity of each strike has to be fluent because I never use technology to touch my drum parts up, this comes with years of practice, as does working with analog metal detectors, it takes years to master their operation, even the relativily simple ones, it's like learning a new language.  

The lag is what I felt when I swung my Equinox 800, I used this machine heavily for a couple of years and even though I enjoyed it, it felt fake to me. I grew up using analog, the Equinox, along with every other digital machine out there are designed to try to mimic the organic nature of an analog metal detector. But just like the electronic drums, it can't and it never will, it doesn't matter how fast microprocessors might get, they will never be as fast as the instant communication within analog circuitry. This is why analog machines unmask so well in iron, when you have both ferrous and nonferrous metals under the coil at the same time digital detectors need time to think, this isn't the case with analog. Now don't get me wrong, the digital 'one size fits all' machines do a good job across the board but for me they're a master of nothing. 

Tesoro Lobo

I've explained how I hear multiple tones in all my detectors even if they're just a single tone machine, personally I don't need anymore than two tones. The nuance and dimensions within analog audio are actually really panoramic to me. As a test I would set my Equinox up in just one tone with no iron audio as to mimic how I set my one tone analog detectors up, in theory it should've felt the same but it didn't. I couldn't draw the shape of larger iron accurately and pulling the coil towards the edge of the iron, the tone wouldn't break in the same way, I genuinly couldn't hear anything in the audio other than a synthetic one dimensional tone that lacked any real language. 

To the non-thinking among us everything I'm saying might come across as utter anal shit but it makes perfect sense to me, at least 50% of my hunting is intuition meshed with whatever machine I'm using at the time. Intuition and common sense are the front runners for extinction thanks to both technology and peoples addiction to it. People assume that the new, latest technologies leave everything that's come before in the dust but that's just not the case. I see most technological advancements as a way of making things more convenient, the more easy and convenient something is the more units can be sold and the brainless can start participating in things they wouldn't usually have had the 'minerals' to master.

To conclude, the microprocessor is the new god, silicon valley worship it, transhumanists prey to it and vast swathes of the human race are addicted to it. People are already talking about wanting a metal detector with A.I built into it so they only dig gold and silver, basically a function to be able to remove any thought or effort. Mark my words when I say, that microchips will be implanted into humans and the mindless fucking masses will be cueing around the block to get it put inside them like the dumb sheep they are. 





Comments

Popular Posts