NEXUS STANDARD MP V2 METAL DETECTOR - IT'S LIKE TUNING A DRUM - PART Three

The second part of this blog can be viewed here Nexus Standard MP V2 Metal Detector - It's Like Tuning A Drum Part 2 

Having gone through all the features the MP V2 has to offer, in this final post I'd like to cover the finer points of the machine and share my final thoughts. Firstly lets talk about the build quality, all Nexus detectors and coils are hand built, they're not mass produced in a factory, when you put your order in the item is built by hand and then sent to you once complete. The build quality of the MP is outstanding, the switches and knobs are solid and high quality, the module casing is sleek looking and strong. The module isn't waterproof so I advice you buy an aftermarket cover for it. The handle grip is sturdy and soft, the arm cup is strong and comfortable and due to the positioning of the battery compartment, being situated under the arm cuff, the detector feels nice and balanced. For peace of mind I've purchased a waterproof cover for the battery casing as well. The shaft locks in place easily and tight and I haven't experienced any wobble at all, the diameter of the shaft itself is slightly thicker than other brands of detectors out there. For me, this just adds to the solidness of the Nexus build quality.

In regards to powering the MP, it takes 10 AA batteries, these slot into a tidy casing that lives under the arm cuff. I recommend you buy a couple of sets of rechargeable AA batteries. I've purchased three sets which means I'm carrying around 30 AA batteries in my backpack, I opted for three sets because I like to hunt for as long as possible and I don't want to ever be in a situation where I have to stop hunting because I've run out of power. The MP has been made so you can plug a charger directly into the battery compartment so you can recharge your batteries without having to remove them. I don't use this feature, I have an 18 cell charger which I use to charge all my batteries in and then they all live in tidy little plastic battery cases. Regarding battery choice I opted for the Duracell industrial series, these charge fast and they last a really long time. 

Even though the Standard MP has a super loud speaker I recommend you use a set headphones, getting yourself a good set of headphones will allow you to focus on every little blip, beep and tone. Working on the basis that the deep targets tend to whisper if you don't use headphones you will probably miss them. 

Another tip I'd like to mention is turning the Standard MP into a machine you can use headphones with wirelessly. It can be a pain being connected to the detector, especially when you're digging holes and locating targets. I opted to buy the Garret Z-Link wireless system, this enables you to connect to the machine via a module that you connect into the machines headphone socket, this then wirelessly connects to a module that you can clip on your belt. It works seamlessly, there's no delay at all and you get a whopping 17 hours out of a single charge. The headphones I use are the Grey Ghost NDT range, these are fantastic and they block out external noise perfectly. Not only that, they have a mute switch on them which comes in really handy, the MP doesn't like my pin-pointer, it starts to argue with it so when I'm using it I simply switch my headphones onto mute until I've finished using it.

I've mentioned in both previous blogs that the MP V2 is a slow recovery machine, it loves a slow, steady and consistent swing speed. Even with the 9' inch coil I use a swing harness, the harness comes in to play when I swinging both my 13' inch & 20' inch coils. Having a harness allows me to get into a comfortable rhythm, if you are a meticulous hunter then I recommend you get one as well. Don't get me wrong, both the coils and the machine are nicely balanced but I don't want any form of fatigue getting in the way of potential hunting time. That pretty much covers the finer points of the detector, it really is a work of art and engineering and I have to say that I didn't think it would be possible to love an inanimate as much as I love my MP.

Final Thoughts

Metal detecting is many things to many people and there's so many styles of hunting and an abundance of locations that dictate the way we search. Nowadays digital high tech machines have taken over the market place making detecting accessible to everyone. "Turn on and go machines" are all the rage and control boxes with endless features are very much the way it's going to be. The beauty of this hobby is how universal it is and everyone has the right to go at it the way they see fit. As much as I love my Equinox 800 there's something about it that feels soulless, I personally don't think you need a lot of the features on it, but mainly it's the constraints of having to work with a digital interface that I'm not keen on. As I've explained before I have a two pronged approach with my longterm permissions, I take the Equinox in until targets dry up and then I go back with the Nexus. Using the Equinox in this way makes complete sense to me. But when I want to connect to the ground on a deeper level with the freedom to adjust and fine tune, the MP really plays into my intuitive and sensory side. 

"The name Nexus is based on the principles of operation expressed through the latin word that means connection. The main idea being that the user and the machine "NEXUS" - come together for a common purpose, discovering lost treasures and artefacts in the ground. The ability of the metal detector along with the natural human senses and experience connect together to give the end result."

The paragraph above not only describes the ethos of the company but it comes close to explaining the sensory experience you get when you've learnt to master the machine. I remember chatting to my mate about the MP once I'd got a handle on it and I told him that it was a very "profound and sensory experience", one that can only be felt when you've truly master the machines abilities. It's really hard to explain but it's like you're connecting to something far great than yourself. My advice to you if you're considering buying a Nexus is to think about it carefully, it's nothing like operating a digital machine, nothing about it is automated and it isn't some "ultra cool" black ops type piece that makes you look like you're in the SAS. This is an all out treasure hunting tool that you have complete control over, to excel at the controls you have to have a complete understanding of each function and when to adjust accordingly.

I wouldn't recommend Nexus if you're a trashy park hunter who likes to whip around as fast as possible, from my experience Nexus is perfect for pasture and ploughed fields and other similar environments where a more systematic approach is required. Well I think that pretty much sums up everything that I can think of regarding the Nexus Standard MP V2 metal detector. I hope this three part blog has shone a light on the mystery of the Nexus brand a little, I've tried to be as detailed as possible, if you do decide to purchase the Standard MP V2 after taking into account everything that I've said then I know that you won't be disappointed. Also feel free to contact me in regarding any questions you might have about it's operation and I'll do my best to help.



Comments

Popular Posts