Nexus Standard MP V3 Target Response Explained

This subject warrants a blog of its own to explain it as thoroughly as I can, some of the points I'm going to write about are mentioned in my Nexus V3 'New Ways Of Thinking Blog'. All Nexus machines have their quirks and the new V3 is no different, if you want to get the most out of the machine you need to understand what these quirks are. The V3 is an extremely deep detector and because of this some good non-ferrous targets won't alway read up as expected. I've learnt through intensive use on both my Credo DDM and MP V2 that identifying some non-ferrous targets isn't as straightforward as you'd think. This isn't due to a lack of performance, it's actually the complete opposite, when you have a true deep seeking machine learning what deep targets both look and sound like is crucial. 

In an ideal world you want to be able to swing over targets that give you a clean audio and a definite two way indication on the RGB meter, now don't get me wrong, a vast percentage of the time this is exactly what you're going to get. It was only the other evening when I decided to go back into a field I'd been hunting heavily for about a year to experiment and only concentrate on digging what I'd call "Iffy Signals", I had a banging target with a clean two way hit on the RGB meter. Because of the signals strength I was convinced it was only a couple of inches down, I was wrong, it ended up pretty much being a whole pin-pointer length. Obviously the target depth on this specific coin wasn't much to write home about .. BUT! the strength of the signal was somewhat impressive, 'taking into account I was only using a 10' inch 18 KHZ coil and I was swinging at least 3' inches from the ground. I've been caught out by Nexus machines so many times, thinking I'm digging a target an inch or so down only for it to end up being 9 to 10 inches.

You'll find that when swinging the V3 the RGB meter will be bubbling away, many of these reactions are due to microscopic fragments of non-ferrous metals - How do I know this? when learning the machine I went through a short period of digging every indication, this was mainly to put my mind at rest that I wasn't walking over potential treasure. Doing this I discovered that not all non-ferrous targets will ring up with a clear two way response. If targets are deep, sitting at a strange angle or have a somewhat unorthodox shape then they might only register on the RGB meter from one way, or with a very short rise in the threshold audio and RGB meter combined - signals like this must not be ignored. At first these signals can be a little tricky to decipher because you can easily mistake them as falsing. There is a definite difference between a false signal and a non-ferrous target that hits one way. False signals can't be rotated on and both the audio and RGB meter fires off in a very distinctive manor. The meter will give a short sharp rise to the end of scale and then straight back down again.

When you have a potential nonferrous target hitting from one direction you'll get a very distinctive indentation in the threshold with the RGB meter just edging up in unison, the meter might give a very short indication. If you can rotate getting a hit from one direction along with the threshold rise and 'nudge' on the meter, dig it. Also you might get a higher response on the meter from one angle and then are far shorter response from another angle, I tend to find a lot of these targets are the deeper ones, with continuous use you will learn to decipher the language of the V3 but you've got to invest some serious time into it. Realistically it's taken me 4 months of extensive use to get to the point where I'm 100% confident in it's operation, and that's with owning two other Nexus machines. 


One final point that is important to explain, some signals that initially give a one way hit can change once you've dug the plug. I've had a few iffy signals that open up and become more pronounced once the hole is open, clearly giving a two way hit on the RGB meter and audio. Once again you'll have to use your own judgement on all the targets you come across. It's important that you spend time analysing potential good targets rather than just racing around dismissing things because it's not a clear and defined hit, it's the iffy signals that could very well end up surprising you the most. 

Comments

Popular Posts