Nexus Metal Detectors "Cognitive Dissonance"

This blog is going to be about a few observations that I've witnessed in regards to some peoples attitude towards Nexus machines, I've been trying to understand the thought process behind it for a while now, as we all know, to get the most out of your detector you have to put the hours in to learn it. I've come to understand that this isn't always the case with some people, they just want to turn a detector on and start swinging. Fair play if this is the way you want to go, there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever, me personally, I'm not wired that way, I need to understand everything about my machine. There's a lot of people out there that are the same in this regard and many make a big point on the forums and YouTube of letting everyone know this. I often see statements like, "I can't wait to learn my new machine" or "I'm looking forward to the new learning curve". 

However, when it comes to Nexus, for some people the above attitude seems to disappear rather fast, instead of taking time to learn the machines they seem to jump to ridiculous conclusions really quickly. Once again I put this down to the fact that you have to set them up yourself and you're not relying on a digital computer to do it all for you. People need to understand that some things take longer to learn than others and products out there on the fringe of the mainstream might function completely different to what they're use to - Is this a bad thing? no it isn't, for me 'predictable' is boring beyond belief, some look upon 'predictable' as safe, for me there is no learning when things are safe. 

I've read some pretty ludicrous statements about Nexus machines through the years and it's clear that they've been made by people that didn't know how to set them up, this is what happens when you have a vast amount of "know it alls" that actually know very little. They have an over inflated self-importance which is so large that they can never be wrong, let us remind ourselves that we only learn through our mistakes. If you feel you've lived a life absent of mistakes then you've learnt nothing. So let me answer a few of the uninformed statements that I've come across below.

"I had the mp for a very short time, I just can tell it's hard to balance, sometimes impossible and I wasn't impressed with the DDM as the ground balance determines everything on this metal detector. i got rid of it in a swiftly manner"

Ok so the above statement has a certain genius to it, he had the MP for a short time and came to the assumption that it's hard/impossible to balance so instead making the effort to learn how to use it he sells it as fast as possible. In reality his opinion is meaningless because he couldn't be bothered to make the effort to understand the operation of the detector. In regards to the comments about ground balance, because he didn't learn how to do it his point is nonsensical. It's true that the DDM meter on the MP V1 and V2 determines everything on these detectors so it's common sense that the DDM meter won't be correct if the ground balance isn't right. So to conclude, it's really very simple, he didn't spend time learning the machine. 

Next

"Go figure why this marvellous machine, is not well known 7 years and more after its been out"

The above question is very easy to answer, Nexus machines aren't user friendly so they're never going to take the metal detecting world by storm. Anything that has to be set up manually and needs a modicum of intelligence and common sense is not going to be embraced by the masses. Does this mean that Nexus machines are crap, hell no, it's actually the complete opposite, also the company doesn't have a multi million pound marketing budget to promote their brand. Working on the basis that most people are completely hypnotised by marketing and aren't capable of actually making a decision for themselves, I can understand why the non-thinking among us might come out with a statement like the one above.

Moving On

"The expert thing is just an excuse to justify the price the fact the machine is unstable and so on, "it's not the machine it's the user". 

The above statement is laughable, so what's being said, in the Nexus user manuals it states "Professional users can enjoy the benefits of the deep seeking Nexus technology". This in fact is true, to use these machines you have to have knowledge of metal detectors, metal detecting and each element that makes them function correctly. There is one point that's correct in the statement above, "it's not the machine, it's the user" I actually couldn't of put it better myself. 

Here's Another 

"Operation of the MP with any of the larger coils is a total waste of time and in fact its not an enjoyable machine to use full stop"

I've explained many many times how important coil height and swing technique is to the smooth running of the Nexus MP series. Naturally with a larger coil you have more surface area communicating with the ground so there will naturally be more ground noise. If you think the larger coils are a waste of time, it's because you haven't mastered using them at the correct coil height, combine that with a poor ground balance and I can understand why some might not like using the bigger coils. Once again, learn the machine correctly and you'll find that using the larger coils is not only a pleasure but a real benefit in some situations.

There are many more ridiculous statements regarding Nexus machines but I see no point in giving anymore examples. I just don't understand why everyone is willing to learn all the mainstream detectors but instantly assume that Nexus machines are problematic if they don't learn to grasp them quickly. Moving on to my other point ... depth. I've noticed that every time a new detector comes on the market, one of the main points people make is about the depth, they hope that it will go deeper than the machine they already own. Actually this is the most common request but when people see Nexus machines easily hitting coins in excess of 16' inches, no one wants to be digging that deep, you literally can't make this up and witnessing this is actually comical. 

So to wrap up, there's definitely something weird going on with peoples psychology when it comes to Nexus compared with all the other mainstream digital machines on the market. The attitude explained in this post has always been there and I'm sure it will continue, I'm just working on the basis that those that do actually gel with the Nexus platform have minds of their own as opposed to the many that just seem to have a series of 'soundbites' repeating in their heads having been hypnotised by the mainstream marketing campaigns. 

Comments

  1. Hello~!
    My name is Kim Jin-myeong and I live in South Korea.
    All of your posts are very interesting and informative. I have been using the MP V.2 for close to 5 years. Most of were sick, so they couldn't do much exploration. But when it comes to exploration, I'm really happy with the MP. I have tried most of the detectors, which are often called high-end metal detectors. But none of them gave me as much satisfaction as MP. In particular, MP's ability to handle ferrous metals and ground mineralization is truly amazing. The most surprising moment for me was when I found a gold ring almost touching the rails. I don't think any other detector can catch gold like the MP near rails. I think NEXUS and Georgi are really special and outstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts