Nexus 12' Inch Dual Coil Review

Let us remember that one coil can't do it all so the terrain you hunt will dictate your coil choice, for instance, you don't want to be using a large coil in super trashy parks and fields that are littered with shallow trash - that's just common sense. If you have land where targets are spread apart with very little iron then going for a low frequency coil with a double D configuration or a dual coil would make far more sense over a high frequency 'fast recovery ' concentric coil. Now don't get me wrong, the Silver Scout coils are surprisingly deep but on quiet land I nearly alway favour low frequency DD or dual coils. 

Dual 12' Inch Coil

I have a vast array of coils, it makes me cringe when I think of how much money I've spent, but I have no regrets, they're worth every penny and all of them have their own application. I chose to purchase the dual 12' inch because I wanted something that had the ability to punch deeper. It might sound like I'm obsessed with depth, I've explained before that going deep is an approach within itself and I genuinely find it intriguing as to what I might be able to find, there are environments where having the ability to punch deep matters. On the flip side there's environments where unmasking and separation matters more and, as I've explained in the past, that's when the high frequency coils come in to play, it's all about using the right tool for the job. 

The construction of the dual 12' coil is fantastic and it's surprisingly light and well balanced, it's easy to swing, I'd say that it feels lighter than the 13' DD. Dialling it into the ground is a simple process, once done it runs quiet and smooth, due to the size it's best swung around 2 1/2  to 3 inches above the ground, I've experimented in this regard, swinging it at this height allows it to perform to optimum levels. Due to the size of the coil, if you swing it too close to the ground you might find yourself getting ground noise. As I've explained before, brushing the coil on the dirt won't give you more depth, if anything it's going to hinder the machines ability to go deeper. All Nexus machines respond this way, coil height is important and you have to be mindful of this especially if you're a new user. 

Dual 12' Inch Coil

It goes without saying that the dual 12' isn't really designed for unmasking in heavy iron but it still does a surprisingly good job at isolating non-ferrous targets in close proximity to ferrous. A number of times I've hit a patch of iron and the coil latches on to a potential good target surrounded by iron with a very distinct tone. Regarding target size, I've found really small pistol shells and various other small items, once again, it's not really designed to detect small/tiny pieces of metal, that's what the SS coils are for but it still does a really good job. I think what I'm trying to say here is, you're not going to miss much swinging this coil, it's surprisingly sensitive to a host of different sized targets. Also pinpointing is simple and very easy to master, you're focusing on the rectangular area in the centre of the coil.

Below is a video demonstrating the dual 12 hitting on a tiny button fragment whilst discriminating out large iron. 

In regards to the depth, this is currently open ended and I feel I need to use it a lot more on all types of terrain, one thing I can say though, 16 inches on a medium sized coin is nothing and I have a few videos demonstrating this. I've also dug a pull tab approaching 14' inches, this might not seem like a big deal but that could've been a small hammered silver coin. The main element to take into account when swinging Nexus is the "in ground" depth and the depth "in air", I've hit on a British one pound coin with a strong signal 13' inches in the ground and 3 inches in air above the ground. That's a total of 16 inches on a one pound coin, that's pretty impressive so anything slightly larger will be picked up way beyond 16 inches deep.

I use the large Root Slayer spade and the blade of this is 13' inches, there's an area on one of my farms that contains deeper targets, most of the time I'm digging signals below the full length of the spades blade, all these points suggest that the dual 12' is a deep coil. However, let us remember that no coil and machine can find what's not in the ground, I work on the basis that if I'm not finding super deep targets then it's because there aren't any to be found. No machine and coil can pull targets from thin air, this is still a point that a lot of people seem to miss. I believe when I get this coil on a site that has really old history then it will pull off some pretty impressive feats. 


All in all the dual 12' inch coil is a fantastic addition to my collection, Who Would I Recommend It To? I'd recommend it to anyone going for those deeper signals, both small and large, I personally think it's going to be fantastic at finding the deeper civil war relics over in the states. I sense the V3 will become a serious relic hunting device amongst some detectorists in the not too distant future. To conclude, the cost of the coil is quite expensive but for me it's worth every penny, it's built fantastically, it runs lovely and stable, makes no noise when bumping it into bracken and bushes, and it goes deep. I'm looking forward to using it more in the future where I can continue to get its performance on film. 

Comments

Popular Posts