Nexus 'Using An Auxiliary Machine'

When I first got my MP V2 I basically dug all obvious signals, these are target responses where there was no denying the fact there was something in the ground. To start with this was all well and good but I wasn't really seeing anything particularly impressive when it came to the depth of the items I was digging. I knew there was a layer of signal response that I just hadn't learnt yet, from this point I started to dig the slightly muted and more interesting indications. Some times it paid off and sometimes it didn't, it's the 'smooth' signal responses on all my Nexus machines that end up being deeper items.

Many times through the learning process I would dig a crater and then give up, in hindsight there were four reasons for this, firstly the target was really small remaining in the plug, secondly I hadn't dug deeper enough, thirdly it was a false signal and the final reason, the target was probably in the side wall and I'd dug down past it. Looking back it was useful to go through all of this because it forced me to come up with a solution to the 'guess work'. It got me thinking seriously, if you've spent the money on a machine and coils that are specifically designed to detect the deepest layers of the soil, then why give up without retrieving a target. Doing this is not only a waste of time it's also a waste of money.

So the solution that came to mind that was going to help the situation 10 fold was using an auxiliary metal detector alongside the Nexus. This was going to take the guesswork away and obviously the more you use the machines the more you'll come to understanding what you're digging both depth and size wise. To give an example, I was out the other week and I got a small signal that had a bit of punch behind it. I assumed it was a relatively shallow target so I got my Fisher F19 with the 5' inch coil on to check. The Fisher picked the signal up so that told me straight away that I didn't need to dig a deep plug. Then I got a small signal that was nice and smooth, I suspected it was a deeper target, when I swung my F19 over it there was no indication. This told me that I had to dig a deeper plug. These two examples alone made life so much easier, I didn't waste both my time and energy digging for ghosts or a "needle in a haystack" scenario. 

The reason that I love using my F19 is because it has a non-motion pin-pointer, this really helps because when you engage it, it actually goes quite deep and it's perfect for a precise location of a target - basically the unit doesn't have to be swung to get a signal response. Many times now I've dug down to the length of my root slayer spade which is 13' inches only to get nothing on my handheld pin pointer. All I have to do is put the coil of my F19 down the hole and if I get an indication I keep on digging. Not only that but it also allows you to check the side walls of the hole. I've explained in videos and previous blogs that digging deep is an approach within itself and I feel there's a few fundamentals that you have to adopt to be successful and an auxiliary machine is definitely one of them. Like I've said before, there's no point in buying true deep seeking units if you're not going to follow through each target to the very end, which is retrieval. 

Below Is A Video Of Me Using The Credo DDM I Bring The F19 In To Confirm A Deep Non-Ferrous Target.

Comments

Popular Posts