Single Frequencies On Multi Frequency Machines

Lots of guys in YouTube land like to try to prove that multi-frequency is better than single frequency by switching between the single frequency options on their multi-frequency machines. It's from these comparisons that single frequency detectors are ruled out over the multi-frequency technology. I've mentioned before that a bunch of microprocessors and one coil can't do it all. I believe multi-frequency might give more of a stable I.D compared to running the same machine in a single frequency mode, but, once again, I don't believe these selectable single frequencies are running at optimum levels.

Apparently?

I'll give an example here, when using my Fisher F19 which is a single frequency detector that's been built to operate at 19KHZ, the target I.D is one of the most stable I've ever seen. So how come when I run both my Legend and Equinox 800 at 20KHZ which is only one frequency higher, the I'D's on both those machines aren't as stable as my F19. Simple, I don't think the single frequency options are operating at optimum levels. The inner workings of the F19 has been specifically designed to operate at 19KHZ, it hasn't been watered down by options to change the operating frequency. This is the same story with my Golden Mask and Tesoro machines, they've been built specifically to operate at a certain single frequency meaning that everything about that frequency is working to the best of its ability.

On my Nexus machines, to change the frequency you change the coil, these coils are individually handmade and have been wound to operate at specific frequencies. They've been designed to perform to the fullest of their ability, in line with the frequency they've been wound to operate at. This is why each coil has exceptional performance that's significantly better than the generic mainstream coils on the market. They're firing on all guns as opposed to a "smart" coil that's equipped to do a number of tasks, I've said it before and I'll say it again, one coil can't do it all. 

Lets think about this, it's not going to do the leading manufacturers any good whatsoever producing a multi-frequency machine where all the single frequencies match the performance of the 'multi-frequency' options. Again, I understand dual frequencies might provide a more stable I'D but I don't believe multiple frequencies add anything in other area of performance. I believe the single frequencies on multi-frequency machines have to be down played because that will bring the whole multi vs single debate out into the open. This blog sort of meshes into the last one I wrote, if you keep people preoccupied with what they see on their screen then the lack of improvement in overall performance will go unnoticed or it will be imagined. 

Let's break it down, let's say the Deus 2 has a super stable I'D down to about 9 inches, if XP released a Deus 3 that had a more stable I'D down to, say, 11 inches, with very few other performance improvements. Does That Make The Deus 3 A Far More Capable, Cutting Edge Machine? in my eyes it doesn't. But the slight improvement in the depth of the I'D distracts from the fact that other areas of performance are practically the same. I think what I've described in this paragraph is already happening, it just takes a good marketing campaign and people can be convinced of anything.

In my eyes the target I.D is the biggest red herring in metal detecting today, I go by one simple rule, if it's non-ferrous then dig it out and depending on the site, if it's ferrous then dig it out as well. This incessant need to know what you're digging before hand is just a reflection of society today. Hmmm if there's nothing in it for me then I don't really want to make much of an effort. "If It's Not A Hammy I Don't Want To Dig It" Using technology to bypass effort is something that's becoming more and more commonplace, metal detecting is really no different. To succeed in this amazing pass time you need to be prepared to dig trash, ...... no, let me rephrase that. You need to learn to love digging trash.


I Digress 

The apparent lack of performance shown in some single frequency machines comes down to one very simple fact. The leading manufactures just aren't that great at making good single frequency detectors, this might sound like an uninformed blanket statement. But that's the way that I see it, I don't believe a digital single frequency machine can ever match that of a really good single frequency analog detector. When reading this statement people's first thought would be that the target I'D on a digital single frequency machine isn't as good as on a multi. BUT ..... I'm not talking about I'D, I'm talking about performance, which includes depth, discrimination at depth, speed and its ability to unmask and separate. Stable I.D doesn't actually help or add to improve any of these areas.

The Golden Mask Is Lightning Fast

Take the last video I posted on my YouTube channel, both the Equinox 800 and Legend, with foil notched out, couldn't see my small silver coin underneath. But my old Tesoro Cutlass had no problem whatsoever, there is no thinking time with the Cutlass, the communication is instantaneous. Both the digital machines were stumped, one reason for this is, there's a delay between the communication of the micro processors, the unit is trying to figure out "what to call what". Good single frequency analogs just don't have this problem, micro processors will never be as fast as the communication that happens within an analog circuit. 

A few people have stated that the delay with the microprocessors isn't noticeable to the human eye and ear, that might be so on a clean target with little to no masking or contamination. But it's clearly noticeable when you have a more complicated scenario under the coil. It's at this point where people probably think I'm posting an 'analog bias' blog. I'm not at all, I'm just pointing out things that no one else is prepared to say, as stated before, in the scheme of things, none of this really matters but I like to create different conversations from the mainstream scripts. Also due to the trolling I get for the machines that I choose to use, this behaviour creates a climate where these types of posts are relevant. If the sheep kept their big mouths shut then they'd be zero reason to write about these types of subjects. But, having said that, I do enjoy exploring these types of ideas and writing about them, it helps to expand the conversation.

To conclude, if the main brands think single frequency machines are a thing of the past then why continue to release single frequency units. Oh .. and why include single frequency options on all the multi-frequency machines. The Minelab X-Terra Pro hasn't been out long and that's a selectable single frequency machine and the same can be said for all the new Simplex models from Nokta. I really find this strange if it's such a dated and prehistoric concept. 

Has The Penny Dropped Yet?




Comments

  1. What a joke trying to sign in to comment. Google fix this crap.
    I said this before Garrett isn't on the Multi-frequency band wagon yet and there must be a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts