Why I Don't use Tesoro Detectors In The Fields

When I metal detect the fields I like to dig deep - What Do I Mean By This? I like to use proper deep seeking machines that give me the ability to dig really deep targets. As we all know, we can't find what isn't in the ground and if there are no deep targets to be found then you're obviously not going to find them. BUT .... I use a series of machines that will hit on them if they're there, all four of my Nexus detectors are deep, even with the smaller search coils they will punch deeper than any other VLF/IB machine on the market. Is Depth Everything? for me, in the fields, yes it is.

There's A Beauty In Silence

I understand a lot of my videos out in the fields are me just digging deep trash with the occasional good find but that's just the way metal detecting is. We can't all have super historic land to hunt on, we have to make do with what we've got. However, if I'm digging 15' inch pull tabs then I know full well that I'm not going to be missing deep silver. For me personally it's all about deep searching and using a set of machines and coils that allow this to be the main focus. But putting the finds aside, it's also about understanding the detectors inside and out, it's not all about treasure and trash, it's about mastering something. At the end of the day, the more you understand the machines that you use, the more you're going to find in the ground.

So Where Does Tesoro Come Into This?

Those that read my blogs and watch my videos know that I hunt on the River Thames in London nearly everyday. My detecting exists within two worlds, the river has to be one of the hardest environments to metal detect, especially when it comes to iron. So my focus is separating and unmasking at shallow depths - "Yes - the Nexus MP V2 and Credo DDM are now being used on the river but that's for another blog" I digress ... I'm not looking to use deep machines on the Thames, the deep stuff is basically large iron. All desirable targets are not much more than 4' inches down, Tesoro machines are masters at this type of hunting. I'm not wanting depth, it's all about reliable discrimination and I think it's safe to say that when it comes to "DISC" Tesoro are both tried, tested and have a pretty good track record. 

Firstly the Tesoro units I've chosen to swing have fixed ground balance so I don't need to worry about that, a couple have fixed sensitivity and I have a few that have sensitivity and threshold settings. The key to good performance is keeping everything dialled back, in regards to discrimination, putting Nexus aside, I happen to think Tesoro machines pretty much have the best discrimination circuits going and I don't believe they've been equalled or surpassed by any of the new wave digital tech machines.

Nexus Standard MP V2 On The Ploughed Fields

Being able to use a large selection of analog machines on the river helps to give me a panoramic view of performance, capabilities, strengths and weaknesses of all my machines. This in turn gives me a rounded perspective on both the analog and digital detectors that I own, this in turn allows me to compare performance between the machines that I have, so I can come to my own conclusions regarding what certain detectors are capable of and where others fall short. This keeps it interesting because I have lots of machines to use in the videos and it enables me to write about a large selection of units. Nothing is learnt in this hobby by sticking to one type/brand of machine, if you're going to publish your opinions then they need to be coming from an informed viewpoint that includes variety.

Why Don't I use Tesoro Machines In The Fields?

There's a very simple answer to this, they just aren't deep enough, I explained earlier in this blog that I'm going deep in the fields and nothing beats Nexus in this regard. Some reading this might think that pinpointer depth or just short of it is a deep target, yes for most machines that's deep but for Nexus that's shallow and those that have seen my live dig videos using any of my Nexus machines will be very aware of this. If Tesoro machines were true deep seeking detectors then I'd use them without a second thought because I genuinely love everything about them. To be honest if I'd never discovered Nexus then I'd probably be using them because my perception of depth would be perfectly satisfied at 9' inches maximum. 

It's Not Always About What's In The Ground

So to conclude, my metal detecting functions within two extremes, on the foreshore where iron is brutal and I'm wanting to unmask and then out in the fields where I'm wanting to go deep. Of course the fields have iron as well but you've got to go a long way to beat the amount you have on the river. So anything slightly less than that doesn't appear to be too hard to deal with because the Thames is so extreme. Working on the basis that most good finds are between 4 to 8 inches down, the Tesoro machines would clearly find a huge amount of targets. 

This has been proven through the decades, Tesoro machines have accounted for endless amounts of great finds. BUT ... if you're a "depth freak" like me they just don't cut it so that's why I opt for Nexus. At the end of the day it's all about using each machine to their strengths and that's exactly what I'm doing. I've explained before that I'd rather have a selection of detectors as opposed to a digital unit that claims to "do it all". There isn't any metal detector on the market that can "do it all" despite what the marketing says.

Comments

  1. Been out with the v3 today . A d your dead right about the depth. Had two friends with the latest .mine labs Check a target , couldn't see it. 14 Inch bit of lead. Very impressed only small. They left shaking there heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tesoro's are masters of the trash. I do believe the Lobo Supertraq had a chance of going very deep with a large aftermarket coil. Tesoro made two what I call "deep" machines. They Supertraq, and the Tejon. The Supertraq is technically a gold detector, but it works very well as an all purpose detector. I know it can't go as deep as the nexus, but I firmly believe it can go as deep as any of these modern detectors. I can easily hit a quarter at 11 inches with the stock small coil the Supertraq has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you not tried a Tejon out in the fields? It was nicknamed the Badger .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts