Nexus "Snap Turtle" 7' Inch Coil

One of the elements that was holding me back from using my Nexus Standard MP V2 on the river was the size of the coils that I currently have. The smallest being my 9' inch silver scout and on the areas that hold excessive iron this was just too big. I really love hunting in the crazy iron that the River Thames throws at me but to hunt efficiently I need the correct tools. This is where the new 7' high frequency coil comes into play, I call it the "Snap Turtle" because it's rather vicious at biting on to signals and not letting go, it's super fast and super smooth.


The coil is a double D configuration operating at 24 KHZ and it's crazy sensitive to the smallest of targets and unmasks at a level that no other double D coil can come close to - What Do I Mean By This? you can actually rotate 360 on a masked target in the same way you can with a concentric coil. To my knowledge there isn't another DD coil on the market that can do this. As expected I've been accused of setting the test up that's demonstrated in the video below, make of it what you will, I gain nothing by misleading people. You can clearly see and hear the machine unmasking the coin under iron whilst I'm rotating 360, this test alone told me that it was going to do a great job.


I've used the coil extensively on the river and it performs superbly on all the areas that I regularly take it to, especially in the really heavy iron. Those that watch my videos will understand what I mean by "HEAVY" iron, we're talking crazy sized pieces littered all over the surface with thousands of years of contamination soaking into the black sands and mud. The River Thames is like no other environment on the planet and it requires a certain 'frame of mind' to be successful. One thing to take into consideration though, you can have the best coil and machine there is but if you don't understand what the detector is telling you then you're wasting your time. You need to know what a potential masked target sounds like, if you don't learn this then you will be leaving non-ferrous signals in the ground. 

Very rarely do you get a 'text book' response because there's nearly always iron in the equation, those that have experience with the V2 will understand the nuances within the audio, this then allows you to get the most out of it, let us remember here, Nexus detectors don't 'serve you', you have to work with them on an intuitive level to really master what they're communicating to you. If you approach Nexus with a digital frame of mind then you will be left disappointed and frustrated. Even after all the years I've been using my V2 I've learnt so much more about it by hunting the River Thames.

I Digress .. 

The 7' inch coil does exceptionally well at unmasking really small non-ferrous targets close to, and in the same hole as iron. The signal response to the smallest of targets is huge compared to all my other metal detectors and even with the V2 tuned all the way down it exhibits really good depth and sensitivity to tiny objects.  Because the MP series detects deeper in the ground than in air, you'll find that some small targets will scream when they're in the mud but barely make a noise when checking the same target in air. This is one of the features of the MP that really fascinates me and really comes into play when hunting on the river.


To conclude, the 7' inch high frequency DD is a fantastic coil for iron contaminated terrain, it's light, fast and separates at an exceptional level. Due to its smaller size you don't have as many targets under the coil all at once so this makes isolating and unmasking much easier than the larger coils. I'm going to look forward to using it on my MP V3 out in some of my fields where the iron is really bad. I'm certain it will help me winkle out a few treasures that I might've missed with my larger coils. 

Comments

Popular Posts