Heavy Iron 'one way signals'

In this blog I want to briefly touch on a point that I made when I started to write about hunting on the foreshore, it's been a very long time since I wrote that blog and the way that I hunt has evolved slightly. This point can be taken into account on inland sites with really bad iron contamination as well. I initially wrote that when hunting the Thames I only dig signals that I can rotate on, applying this approach found me a lot of items but overtime I came to a different conclusion. 

As we all know when it comes to masked, or partially masked targets, DD coils might only get a positive signal from one angle or one sweep direction. On the river, due to the sheer amount of iron, this happens loads and over time I started to dig the signals that I could only hit from one angle. A few videos ago when I was testing my Golden Mask machine I pointed this out and explained that I'm listening for a specific audio response.


In the video I cover a copper coin in iron and start to rotate on it, you'll hear that I get a positive audio response from two angles but it still sounds pretty trashy. I then isolate the non-ferrous tone by shortening my swing, it's at this point that you can clearly hear that there's a nonferrous target amongst the iron. I took this approach out on to the foreshore the following day and dug a coin out of iron that gave a nonferrous tone from one angle only. 

Obviously it's different with concentric coils, if you watch any of my Nexus videos when I'm using a concentric coil, I can rotate fully on a masked target and get a positive signal response from all angles. Since digging signals that I've described in this blog, I have pulled a lot more targets out of the areas I hit regularly on the river. Funnily enough it was with the Nokta Legend that I started to realise this and it's been something that I'd been planning to write about for a while now. Yes .. you might dig a little more iron but I'd much rather being doing that than leaving good targets in the ground. 

So conclude, not all signal responses are "text-book" in the way they sound and it's important to understand that when hunting in heavy iron you might only hit on a potential good target from one angle or one direction to varying degrees. The audio landscape of an iron free hunting terrain is completely different to that of a terrain loaded with iron junk. 

Comments

Popular Posts